Call 07557 117177 or 01656 660800

We'll come to your home or work place

Nathaniel Cars

Based in Bridgend, South Wales, we have over 38 years of experience and are committed to helping you sell your car fast, in a safe and easy way, whilst providing the best possible customer experience. We will travel to you if it is within 30 miles or an hour's travel from Bridgend.

Sell Your Car Fast!

How to Sell a Car Without a V5C

October 8, 2015, 9:29 am


There are certain things you will need to have in order when it comes to selling your car, especially the documents regarding your car. But what happens if you lose your V5C? Can you still sell your car without it?

Can you sell a car without a V5C?

In short, yes it is possible to sell a vehicle without the V5C logbook. However, it is much more difficult. Most individual buyers will be highly put off by any car that doesn’t come with these documents as it could be stolen, written off or otherwise illegal.

It is important to note that there are legitimate reasons as to why there isn’t a V5C present at sale. Always make sure that the buyer is aware of why this document isn’t there, failure to do this could result in conflicts and even potential legal action.

You will also need to notify the DVLA of the change of ownership, if you don’t do this then you will remain liable for anything that happens to the car.

Extra Precautions When Selling

A bill of sale is extremely important in this situation as this will include all the information you need to know when it comes to registering yourself as the owner. Your bill of sale should include:

  • Make and model of the vehicle
  • Registration number
  • Mileage
  • Vin plate number
  • Buyer’s full name and sale
  • Date of sale
  • Signature of buyer and seller

This is all the information the buyer will need to apply for a new log book using a V62. Alternatively you could get a new log book yourself prior to selling.

How to Get a Replacement V5C?

Obtaining a new V5C is relatively easy, simply apply to the DVLA by phone or send a completed V62 form (downloadable here).

You will only be able to apply by phone provided that you are the registered keeper on the original registration certificate.

There is a £25 fee to replace the V5C, this can be paid by debit or credit card over the phone or by cheque if you’re applying by post.

Expect the replacement certificate within 5 working days if you apply over the phone, although this can take up to 6 weeks if you apply by post.

This is something that you are likely to have to do if selling privately, although if you are selling to a car buying service they are likely to take care of this on your behalf.

Selling to Cashpoint4Cars

At Cashpoint4Cars we’re happy to buy cars without a V5C, provided that they pass a HPI check. This eliminates the hassle that you would have selling the car privately, while still giving you a competitive price. Looking to sell your car and want to find out how much we’ll pay for your vehicle? Fill out your reg number online today and receive an instant quote.




< Back to Blog